Sudi Arabian Development Plan 2009-2014 objectives include: improving the standard of living; developing human resources; increasing the recruitment of Saudi nationals; diversification of the economy; ensuring balanced regional development; and enhancing the competitiveness of the economy and Saudi products.
The Government's National Industrial Strategy aims to greatly develop and diversify the economy by 2020. Its objectives are to:
- Expand manufacturing from 11% to 20% of GDP
- Double Saudi industrial employment from 15% to 30%
- Increase industrial exports from 18% to 35%
- Double the proportion of technology-based manufactured products from 30% to 60%
- Increase economic 'value added' by 8% a year
Another major plan, Vision 2020, lists similar and related strategies and aims such as: strengthening academic-industrial links; expanding manufacturing and industry; developing human resources; and expanding the private sector.
Supervised by the Ministry of Commerce & Industry and Ministry of Petroleum and Minerals, the Industrial Clusters program has a significant role in meeting Vision 2020, National Industrial Strategy and broader government goals.
The cluster strategy is intended to:
- Make the most of Saudi Arabia's abundant energy, natural resources and raw materials
- Generate the fastest possible growth in exports
- Bring the greatest benefits in technologies and skills development